Efficiency in A&E Contexts
Due to ageing populations, reducing budgets and the complexities of acute care services, A&E departments are straining under higher patient numbers and higher demands. As one of the most central departments in any hospital, A&E should be on the forefront of hospitals’ efforts to improve the efficiency of their healthcare technology investments to improve patient care.
The IT challenge
Good IT is critical for A&E departments. Healthcare technology offers promising tools for improving emergency care and improving rapid response times.
The promises of healthcare technologies are not always effectively delivered in A&E departments, however. Busy A&E departments often face limited access to terminals and patient records, incomplete or out-of-date data, and the frustration of multiple, repetitive, slow login times to an ever-growing number of clinical applications.
Too often, these challenges create a tension between complying with regulations and treating patients effectively. Smart technologies can, and should, reduce this tension.
Imprivata works with healthcare organisations worldwide to help A&E departments streamline workflows, protect patient security, and save valuable time in critical care scenarios. With Imprivata solutions A&E departments can:
- Resolve the frustration of working with slow systems in the pressure of an A&E environment, without the cost of a total ICT refresh
- Align national or local compliance requirements with effective patient care
Imprivata marries world-class technology with a relentless focus on care providers’needs. In the words of one user: Imprivata technology“is a great example of technology fitting around and enabling natural workflows and enabling care, rather than dictating how clinicians go about their work.”Imprivata solutions for A&E efficiency problems include:
- Imprivata OneSign Single Sign-On stores application credentials and automatically populates care providers’ credentials when they log in access patient data. The solution eliminates the need for staff to remember their username and password, saving them valuable time in critical care situations. In an A&E environment, simplifying log on processes can save minutes and lives. No more remembering passwords; no more post-it notes under keyboards, and no more compliance-busting sharing of accounts.
- Authentication Management allows physical passes (badges, key fobs etc.) to log users into their desktops. With Authentication Management, identifying staff for security and compliance purposes without passwords (alphanumeric PINs may be used). The same technology can be applied to specific processes, allowing for re-authentication at critical points in a workflow. With e-prescribing, for example, this ‘transaction authentication’ improves outcomes by making senior expertise available to an A&E department, 24/7. Authentication Management allows permissions to be obtained securely, remotely and on any device.
- Fast user switching. The sharing of terminals is a necessity in A&E. With fast user switching, users’ desktops can be restored in seconds – and multiple care providers can treat a single patient from the same terminal without sharing their accounts or credentials.
- Secure Walk Away. A&E is an insecure environment, with unidentified visitors the norm, not the exception. Thanks to walk-away security, when a user leaves a terminal without logging out, the screen is locked before data can be lost to prying eyes. If they return, the screen unlocks automatically without the need to re-enter credentials using secure facial biometric recognition. If a new user presents valid login credentials, the previous session closes and the new session opens seamlessly. Anyone without credentials is locked out. Imprivata can also offer facial recognition for completely hands-free session switching and lock/unlock.
Technology can now be seamless and invisible to the user, never interrupting the flow of patient care, saving time and yet remaining compliant and secure.
No clinician joins the healthcare profession to become an IT specialist, with Imprivata they won’t have to. To see how we can turn your existing technology from a burden into a valuable asset, get in touch.